Sunday, August 9, 2009

Good ol' Bollywood gaane!

I used to really enjoy a lot of Bollywood music. I knew all the songs from all the A-list movies and knew all the associated artists- whether it was the music directors or the singers. Of course, when people much older than me would say that "Puraane gaano mein kuch baat thi! Kitni melody! You could keep listening to them over and over again..." I would defend my favourite songs and felt like I had the same opinion about the songs my generation would some day call "humaare zamaane ke gaane..." A sad little thing happened. I got too busy. I stopped listening to as much music as I used to. Then, my Bollywood music went into a time freeze! I have no idea about the "latest" Bollywood songs. In fact, I was the first day, last show person for every movie which would be even remotely promising and would read the previews and then the reviews and of course, have my own reviews for all those who wanted to hear my two cents! Now, I don't know which movies are running until my sister or parents mention there's something worth watching. I don't know any latest Hindi songs! I feel so dated, when I listen to "my songs" now. I miss listening over and over again to the creations of A.R. Rahman and Shankar, Ehsaan, Loy or songs from all Yash Chopra movies; or all those lounge versions of Emraan Hashmi's movies' numbers (I know how corny!) or Kailash Kher's music; till those songs grew on me and I would do my own off-key versions. I would love to know their music as well as I used to!

There are very few songs I now remember "by heart" and wonder what happened to all the other songs I used to know so well? I hate to admit but some of those older people were actually right about the short-lived memory of my generation's songs. I just saw Love Aaj Kal and am trying hard to remember the lyrics of at least some song I can hum now but can't; guess I have to listen over and over again till I can sing some latest Bollywood gaana!

2 comments:

  1. True...same here. I seem to have lost track of these things which would excite me so much...crazy! Just hope I am not becoming too serious or losing the 'myself' I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anita: That's why I am going to make it a point to listen to all the new bollywood gaane and watch as movies as I can; kya pata kal ho na ho :)

    ReplyDelete